Monday 22 June 2009

The death of music reviewing - the Twitterverse is to blame

THIS latcheco seems to think that Twitter is going to kill off music journalism and that everyone is looking to this latest social networking site du jour and blogs for new music.
Perhaps he hasn't studied the business model of most social networking - what is going to keep it online 10 years from now? Where's the revenue stream?
Maybe everyone is a journalist now - actually no they are not. Just being able to write a review doesn't make you a music journalist - it just makes you opinionated, at best, and linked to the artist at worst.
If Paul Du Noyer or Dave Hepworth or Andy Gill or Pete Paphides or Caitlin Moran or Dave Fanning or Peter Guy (well maybe not him) say a record is good I may Spotify it (to coin yet another digital age verb) and then buy it. But I will never buy something thanks to a Twitter feed, which is prone to huge manipulation of the music companies anyway.
See what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think Twitter will kill off music reviews, sites like blogspot and wordpress may do but I think it'll depend on who the target audience is. I think that people who listen to 'mainstream music' will still read music magazines because they've been in print for so long (though reading those same magazines online is probably the norm now).

    For someone like me who mainly listens to World music I probably would search the web for some anonymous blogger telling me whats good to listen to and whats not, though I still check out the Guardian's website every so often because they're doing articles about the Japanese music scene which is what I'm interested in.

    But at the same time I've spent years on internet forums reading people's opinions about the latest TV show/song/comic etc and at the end of the day I go into things with an open mind, as long as I have an idea of what a products about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's partly my point Steely - but also you also like good writing, what's wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete